Historic garden and park
The park of Villa Longo, bound by decrees of 1982 and 1983 ex law 1089/1939, it is annexed to a 16th century building born and then maintained until today as an agricultural residence by the owner families, including Longo and Agliardi engaged respectively in politics and in the social sector with the dissemination of the Montessori method.
The park is located south and east of the manor house and the adjacent farmhouse. It has numerous essences of considerable size and its constitution can be placed at the end of the 1800s. It extends for 4.6 ha and is divided into three portions:
- the “ garden ” of the palace, consisting of a central lawn with fifty-year-old Japanese maples and lateral bands with precious essences such as monumental magnolias, lime trees, yews, and flower shrubs (roses and hydrangeas);
- the larger park area consists of two stable lawn plots divided by a sparse row along an irrigation canal with some isolated plants. The whole lawn is surrounded by a band, between ten and twenty meters wide, of tall trees of considerable size that defines the boundaries of the park itself.
The arboreal composition is as follows: in the presence of two dominant species that make up the backbone of the belt, arranged in two three rows, such as the English oak and the white hornbeam that define the typical landscape of a forest of the Po valley (querco-hornbeam) , some exotic ornamental essences, characteristic of historical parks, are found sporadically, such as the American walnut, the yew, the liquidambar, the bald cypress and alongside other more common ones such as the hackberry, the plane tree, the field maple. There are scattered boxwood plants that formed hedges arranged neatly at the constitution of the park;
- adjacent to the garden in a south-easterly direction and centrally to the park, there is an arboreal scrub with a group of American walnuts of considerable size that overlook historical garden furniture.